glenglassaugh    glen of the grey-green place


In June 2016 Brown-Forman Corporation (Jack Daniel‘s) bought Glenglassaugh, BenRiach and GlenDronach for £285 million (Benriach Distillery Company Ltd.).

The BenRiach Distillery Company bought the Glenglassaugh whisky distillery on March 22nd, 2013. A new chapter in its history was opened.

Reopened in 2008 the distillery went back into production after it was was mothballed in 1986. Scotland‘s First Minister and local MSP Alex Salmond pushed the button to start the malt mill on the 24th of November 2008 and on the 28th November 2008 they made the first mash. After fermentation the first spirit ran on 4th of December 2008.

Established in 1875 Glenglassaugh Distillery was closed in 1907 after the downturn of the Scottish whisky business (Pattison Crash). Refurbished in 1959 the distillery started production in 1960 and contributed to the blends of the Edrington Group like The Famous Grouse and Cutty Sark.

Some single malts of the old stock gained worldwide recognition after the reopening. „The Spirit that dare not speak its name“ was the inaugural spirit that surprised the market. In 2010 about 200.000 litres of alcohol were produced. The annual capacity is about 1.1 million LPA. There are 19 dunnage warehouses.

The whisky chronicler Alfred Barnard reported in the late 1880s: „The Worm Tub is a square timber vessel, fed by the dam, which is above of tallest building In the establishment, and flows along a conduit at the back of the Brewing and Distilling House, and then falls over a water-wheel of immense proportions, which does all the driving in the Distillery.

The property covers 17 acres, and there is in addition a farm of 80 acres, which grows some of the finest barley in the district. The Whisky is pure Highland Malt, and the annual output is 80,000 gallons, and is said to be steadily gaining favour in the market.“

(Alfred Barnard. The Whisky Distilleries of the United Kingdom. London, 1887.)

„Glenglassaugh Distillery stands at the east end of Sandend bay approximately two miles to the west of Portsoy. It was here on the banks of the Glassaugh burn and in an area known to have been previously favoured by illicit distillers that local entrepreneur and businessman James Moir built the distillery in 1875. He quickly established a reputation for making a quality whisky and the company prospered.“ see

There is also an informative blog and book:

Ian Buxton, Glenglassaugh. A Distillery Reborn. Glasgow 2010

There is a new small visitor centre offering excellent tours mostly by staff members. Highly recommendable. Prebooking essential. The Revival Tour and The Behind the Scences Tour can be booked.

Distillery Manager: Stuart Nickerson until April 2013.

Production Manager: N.N.

General Production Manager: Alan MacConnochie

Please double-click and thumbnail  the photo to open the tour.

Thank you.

owner: Brown-Forman Corporation